One classic Italian dish that is relatively easy to prepare is Margherita Pizza. Here is a simple recipe you can follow to make it at home:
1 pound of pizza dough
1 cup of crushed tomatoes
4 ounces of mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Roll out the pizza dough to the desired thickness and place it on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Spread the mixture over the pizza dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
5. Arrange the mozzarella slices over the top of the pizza.
6. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
7. Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves before slicing and serving.
Note that you can use store bought dough if you prefer, and you can also add extra toppings such as fresh tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, or pepperoni.
FOR A MORE LOCAL WAY :
Preparing Margherita Pizza locally would involve sourcing ingredients that are commonly found in your area. Here are a few tips to help you prepare the dish using locally sourced ingredients:
1. Use locally-made pizza dough: Many small bakeries and specialty stores sell freshly made pizza dough. This is a great option as it not only supports local businesses but also ensures that the dough is fresh and of high quality.
2. Look for local tomatoes: Instead of using canned crushed tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes that are grown locally. You can either puree them yourself or use a food mill to make the crushed tomato sauce.
Use locally-made cheese: Many small local dairy farms produce their own mozzarella cheese. This is a great option as it not only supports local farmers but also ensures that the cheese is fresh and high-quality.
Use local herbs: Fresh basil is a key ingredient in Margherita Pizza. You can find fresh basil in local farmer’s market, or you can grow your own.
By using locally sourced ingredients, you will be able to create a delicious and authentic Margherita Pizza that showcases the unique flavors of your area.